In 1898, Louis Dennis Arthur established a small business, ‘Louis Arthur General Carrier’, to ferry goods to and from the Port of Melbourne. The business focused on strong customer service and soon flourished, fuelled by the economic growth of the young colony of Victoria.
By the 1930’s, the business was the largest carrier of over dimensional freight in Victoria, and Louis changed its name to ‘Louis Arthur Cartage Contractors’. The business was incorporated in 1948, and has since been known as ‘L.Arthur Pty Ltd’.
During the opening of Melbourne’s first overseas container berth in 1969 at Swanson Dock, the company engineered equipment to handle the introduction of containerised freight. Subsequently, L.Arthur Pty Ltd transported the highest number of shipping containers to and from the wharf during the first two years of containerisation. Wharf cartage and specialised machinery services remain the bedrock of the business today.
The business has operated across three centuries and four generations. The company legacy has evolved alongside with the change of transport technology from horse drawn to motorised cartage.
We have come a long way. God willing, we will continue to shape the company legacy into the future.